Secret Squirrel...

So I finally succumbed to the Blog.  It was the Secret Squirrel that finally did it.  I have been following the little squirrel this year, enjoying the creative culture of the "acorn" and wishing I had time to participate.  Well I finally made the time. If you aren't familiar with the little adventure, you can read about it here.

The most recent place the squirrel had visited was As it Seams.  Victoria made a sweet-as-pie peasant dress with a reversible waistcoat, and provided the next month's accorns:
  • Where the Wild Things Are
  • Blue
  • David Bowie
  • Pockets
  • Great Britain
 

And this is what I came up with for my project:

Acorn #1:  Where the Wild Things Are

I immediately thought PJ's.  I used a pants pattern that I already had drafted for the Little One and found an old PJ top pattern that I had used to make the Older Little One pajamas when she was younger.
Acorn #2: Blue

I used blue polka dot trim on the collar and blue for the embroidery on the back and also on all the top seams.  I also used blue snaps for the front.  I was going to use blue bias to encase the hems as well, but I found some black and white checker bias on the discount rack, so I bought it up.  I think it adds to the next acorn which is:

Acorn #3: David Bowie

I have to admit I had a lot of ideas on this one, but I settled on a simple  song reference "Rebel Rebel."  One because I wanted the project to have a simple clean look and also because I felt that it fit the Little One - she is a Rebel :)
 


Acorn #4 & #5: Pockets and Great Britian

This was way cool - and a HUGE pain in the rear!  I pieced a flag together, using a larger quilt block pattern.  What I hadn't considered was the downsizing that had to happen to fit a toddler pair of pants!  Needless to say, I managed to make the flag and still keep my eyesight and all my fingers.  I used fusible tape to keep the pieces in place while i zigzagged a topstitch with transparent thread.  Then I sewed the flag pocked directly onto the pants before I seamed the pant leg together.  All in all, I'm really happy with the little outfit.  I still have to add a little squirrel somewhere....maybe a patch to the front or a sleeve :)



Comments

  1. I am so impressed by all your details! The bias trim! That tiny flag - its so well-finished! And the embroidery ! It's great ! I also like the way it could be a boys outfit too - makes a change from the usual dresses ! Really so pleased you sewed along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm glad I started as well - SO excited about the new Dec. acorns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you have joined Secret Squirrel :) Your outfit is perfect. The flag pocket is simply amazing! I zoomed the photo as it is absolutely amazing :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts